Please note, due to COVID-19, events listed on our Events Calendar may have been temporarily suspended. Please contact the hosting organizations to check their status.
Event viewing instructions:
1. You will see the events of the whole month, in small segments, in the colour of the organization, with the title of the event and the time,
2. Put your cursor on the event and you will see a small pop-up box with the name of the event, the time and price,
3. Now left double-click on the event itself: a full -page window will open, with all the information about the event. This window has a white background and black distinctive easy- to- see writing.
View Our Handy Guide
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
JSA – Phyliss and Irving Snider Foundation Empowerment Series: Frauds and Scams
Thursday February 16th
Doors open at 1:30 p.m. | Presentation at 2:00 p.m.
In person: Mount Pleasant Neighborhood House – 800 East Broadway, Vancouver
Meeting ID: 824 9182 2881
We investigate the ways in which fraudsters take in people to rob them of their money and possessions. Seniors are frequent victims and need to be aware of how to protect themselves.
Presented by Patrick Harkness:
Let me introduce myself to you. I’m a healthy and active member of my community and present the following:
During my 35-year career with the Province of BC, my accomplishments included:
· Supervising large field survey crews locating new highways throughout the province,
· Led a team of specialists ensuring and improving provincial departments’ safety programs, and
· Overseeing the southwestern region of BC within the Provincial Emergency Program (PEP) working with local authorities and helping them to succeed in developing, updating, and managing their emergency preparedness and business continuity plans.
A year following my retirement I established my own consulting firm that:
· Aided private, public, and Indigenous peoples in how to better meet their due diligence in being prepared for unplanned eventualities, and
· Agreed to participate and eventually lead subject-matter-experts in the development of national and international standards through the Canadian Standards Association (CSA); the Standards Council of Canada (SCC); and, the International Association for Standardization (ISO).
On behalf of my community, this province, and our country, I continue to
· Serve as vice-chair to the BC Gov’t Retired Employees’ Assoc. – Cheam View Branch (Upper Fraser) as well as the 2nd VP of the provincial executive
· Represent the BCGREA Branch as liaison with the Council of Senior Citizens Organizations (COSCO)
· Volunteer as a Workshop Facilitator for both COSCO and the Seniors Health and Wellness Institute (SHWI)
· Represent provincial and national ‘interest groups’ advocating more inclusion for our ageing society as a Consumer Representative within the CSA, SCC, and ISO.