Report to the Jewish Senior’s Alliance Annual General Meeting September 9, 2015 from the Committee on Peer Support Programs.
Members of the committee are: Serge Haber, Rita Rolling, Jackie Weiler, Pamella Ottem, Charles Liebovitch and Grace Hann.
The JSA Peer Support Program delivered the following services for the May 31st, 2014-June 1, 2015.
- Senior Peer Counselling had one 55 hour training program educating 13 counsellors. Volunteer counsellors are then matched to clients by the program staff.
- Friendly Home Visiting Program had one training program, which this year was increased from 12 hours to 15 hours of training to better prepare the volunteer visitors who are then matched with clients by the program staff.Both the Senior Peer Counseling and the Friendly Visiting Program give volunteers a certificate of completion after the training session, a graduation ceremony, continuing education sessions and individual coaching by the program staff.
- Shalom Again or phone calls to isolated seniors.
- Senior Information and Referral Line which provides information about services seniors may require and how to engage them. Information is available in the Senior Line Magazine, on the JSA website, through brochures distributed at senior events and by program staff.
- Accompanying Seniors to attend Medical appointments.
- Bereavement Support Group – this program was discontinued due to lack of attendance.
Accomplishments this year have been:
- increasing the number of clients served from 68-86
- volunteer appreciation dinner, graduation ceremony and summer barbeque
- partnering with other organizations to provide and advertise services for seniors
- Ambassador program developed from receipt of a New Horizon’s grant. The committee has worked hard to select volunteers, develop an Elder Abuse Recognition and Prevention teaching curriculum, and train the volunteers to deliver Elder Abuse workshops to the community at large.
Our goals for the next year are to continue to provide the above quality services to seniors by educating more peer counsellors and friendly visitors, to continue working on the Ambassador program, and to seek out other services which will further support our isolated and needy seniors.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the JSA Peer Support Committee for all their help and our very dedicated and hard working program staff members Charles Liebovitch and Grace Hann. I would also like to thank all the wonderful volunteers who give their time and care to provide these services to seniors, without you we could not do this special work.